AUSun’s Summer Expedition Program focuses on matching individual teenagers with tailored expeditions to some of Costa Rica’s most incredible wilderness areas. Trips include a 10-15 day adventure component followed by a week of service learning and homestay. Experiences can include backcountry, wilderness travel and camping accommodations or front country tours with hotel accommodations. This is a perfect opportunity to explore Costa Rica, push your limits and take on greater challenges.
- Average group size: 8 to 15 students of similar ages, grade and level of maturity
- Led by two local trip leaders, one male and one female
- Participants are from all over the world including Costa Rica!!!
THE LOCATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- Locations and activities are pitched and defined to meet the needs of the individual while trip teams are formed.
- Back Country (remote areas inaccessible by vehicle): Trips focus on multi-day backpacking, sea kayaking, surfing, horseback riding, and/or whitewater rafting…Step out of your routine, learn more about your inner self and focus on the more important things in life!
- Front country (stay in cabinas or hotels and eating in restaurants): Trips focus on day activities like outrigger canoeing, surfing, rafting, horseback riding, hiking, diving, bicycling, canopy tour, cultural activities and service projects …
- Environmental and cultural education are key components of all summer expeditions.
- Activities require no previous experience
- Enthusiasm required! – A positive attitude will take you further than you can imagine.
- On backcountry trips, take part in tasks such as preparing, cooking, cleaning and other activities for a successful trip
- Learn how to cook delicious recipes – ceviche, gallo pinto, pizzas, baked desserts!
- AUSun provides all camping and necessary equipment – you only need to bring personal items (AUSun provides a list)
- Safety is our #1 priority!
- Guides with CPR, First Aid and Wilderness First Responder licenses
- Established emergency procedures and contingency plans
- Impecable safety record
- Founder’s bicultural background and international experience is the reason AUSun follows safety standards and regulations established in US and Costa Rica
Our Top Picks
If summer vacation for your teenagers is about getting out, exploring, having fun and growing in every way and direction, check out some of our best teen summer program options in Costa Rica. These are our top picks. Contact us for other programs and let us match you with the best options.