Trip Option 5.
THE PERFECT COMBO
Head straight to the jungle to learn about a unique community that thrives on permaculture and sustainability while facing the challenges of the tropics. Partake in the daily chores, followed by yoga on the beach. Hike back to civilization for a bit of surfing and finish off the adventure with a full day of whitewater rafting on the 5th most wild and scenic river in the world for whitewater rafting.
Waterfall gardens, canopy tour, whitewater rafting, coastal hike, Wildlife Rescue Center, home stay, cultural immersion and community service.
• All in–country transportation
• All meals
• All accommodations
• All activities
• 1–2 trip leaders
(depending on the number of participants)
• 1–2 teachers FOC (depending on the number of students)
• Teacher cash gift
DOES NOT INCLUDE
Airfare, tips, or taxes
- Itinerary can be shortened or lengthened according to your needs.
- Depending on the flight arrival hour, first night hotel could be outside of San Jose en route to the first destination.
- AUSun visits each home stay to verify the stability, safety, and comfort of the household. Home stay references are available upon request.
- Maximum capacity for home stay is 30 people.
- Home stay option may be substituted for hotel stay with a change of location to the region of Sarapiqui. Activities during this segment (community service and interaction, hikes and closing communal festivity) will remain the same. Price will vary.
- Two rafting options: Sarapiqui River (Class II – III recommended for middle school students or nonswimmers) or Pacuare River (Class III+ recommended for high school students).
Arrival in San Jose.
Sleep hotel in San Jose.
Waterfall gardens, transfer to San Carlos and service learning / home stay intro. Home stay.
Full day of community service and interaction.
Full day of community service and interaction, hike through community reserve and closing communal festivity. Home stay.
Travel to Sarapiqui, followed by Canopy Tour. Sleep in hotel in Sarapiqui.
Whitewater rafting and transfer to Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean Coast. Sleep hotel in Puerto Viejo.
Coastal hike through the Gandoca-Manzanillo Reserve followed by beach time. Sleep hotel in Puerto Viejo.
Visit a wildlife rescue center, souvenir shopping and transfer to San Jose. Sleep hotel in San Jose.
Our itineraries are evaluated based on six criteria: Accommodations, Locations, Comfort zone levels, Trip Tasks, Adventure and Service. The six criteria are rated on three different levels as per the following chart.
Please note that there are short itineraries 5–6 days and long itineraries 8–10 days, all which can be shortened or lengthened to meet your educational and financial needs.